Install change method

Post here any questions/suggestions you have about novaPDF SDK or novaPDF OEM.
jefflundstrom

Install change method

Post by jefflundstrom »

Hello,

We have decided to start using the /DoNotAddPrinter option when we install our application. The problem is that we have users who have installed Nova with the /PrinterName="OurPDFPRINTER" option. We are using installshield to deploy your product, what is the best way to make sure at the end of install that the OurPDFPrinter is removed and the /DoNotAddPrinter option is installed? Do I have to run uninstall first to remove this printer or can I do everything from install? Also, I want to have a way to detect the right state so we dont have to run install when the user is setup correctly then next time they upgrade..

Thanks,

Jeff

Claudiu (Softland)

Re: Install change method

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Hello,

In order to remove a previously installed novaPDF printer you have to run novaPDF uninstaller. You may check if novaPDF was previously installed on that computer by checking next registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Softland\novaPDF SDK 7\InstallVersion

You may proceed like this: check if novaPDF was installed before, run the uninstaller if it was, than run the setup with the new parameters.

novaPDF setup does not have a way to detect if previous installation added a printer or not. For detecting this you have to check from your code if the printer with that name is in the Windows printers list. Or if you used a previous version /build number of novaPDF when you installed with the printer, you may check the currently version installed using above registry key and decide to uninstall or not based on this information.

Thank you.
Follow us to stay updated:

jefflundstrom

Post by jefflundstrom »

I got a lot of this working for x32. The problem comes when I try to use the same code for x64. It does not appear that you guys write anything to the wow6432Node for 32bit versions of setup to read. Is there another indicator I can use when I dont install a printer?

Thanks,
Jeff

Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Hello,

novaPDF installs as a 64 bit application on Windows x64 systems. You have ro read the 64bit registry information in this case.
Or you may call the EnumPrinters Windows API to see if the printer is installed.

Thank you.
Follow us to stay updated: