PDF file not created by SDK on 64-bit Windows 7 as non-Admin

Post here any questions/suggestions you have about novaPDF SDK or novaPDF OEM.
DanCooperstock

PDF file not created by SDK on 64-bit Windows 7 as non-Admin

Post by DanCooperstock »

I have a problem in my application, which is written in PowerBuilder, when using the SDK to programatically create PDF files on 64-bit Win7. Unless the application is run as Administrator, everything seems to go OK (no functions return error messages or throw exceptions) but the file is never created. This does not seem to happen on 32-bit computers or with other versions of Windows, when running as a normal (non-Admin) user.

novaPDF support says they are not aware of any other problems like this, and that this works for them (though they don't have PowerBuilder so can't test my code directly) but I'm wondering whether any other users on this forum may have seen similar problems.

What happens more specifically is that I register for the various messages that the SDK can send, in particular the NOVAPDF2_FILESAVED
message. The window I specified receives this message, but the file I specified to be saved (by setting the options Save Folder and Save File using the COM object's SetOptionString2 method) has not been created. There are no differences in the code I execute on any version of Windows, or depending on whether the user is running as Admin or not. And of course, I'm not trying to save to a folder that the non-Admin user doesn't have write permission on.

I also just found the references about how to run with 32-bit programs (which my app is) on 64-bit windows in the KnowledgeBase (which I'm pretty sure Support had never pointed me to), and I tried it with those changes - adding /RegisterWin32COM to the command line for the installer, and calling options.LicenseApplication("SPLWOW64.EXE") before the print job. They didn't change this problem for me at all.

Any bright ideas? This is very irritating to my program's users who have this problem, because they have to remember to run as Admin when they are going to be using one of the features in my app that creates PDF files (which is generally not every time they use the app). Thanks.

Lorant (Softland)

Re: PDF file not created by SDK on 64-bit Windows 7 as non-Admin

Post by Lorant (Softland) »

Sorry Dan, yours is really the first report for this problem and unfortunately we don't have a solution for you. So if any other users have a similar problem it would be great if a reply would be posted here so that we'd have more ground for investigation.

kealkil4

Post by kealkil4 »

Hi Dan,

We are having similar problems creating pdfs on 64-bit Windows 7.
Did you ever get to the root of the problem or find a work-around.
Look forward to hearing at your convenience.

Regards,
Ted.

Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Hello,

Unfortunately we couldn't reproduce this issue at that time, however if you can send us the application for testing or modify one of our samples to replicate the issue, please send it to our support team at [email protected]

Thank you.
Follow us to stay updated:

cmendez21

Post by cmendez21 »

Hello everyone, im currently developing an app in vb6 which has to work on 32 and 64 bits

I'm having this issue (only on 64 bits os) so i tested over and over again and one of the problems is

if i try to generate a PDF (save dialog, dialog advanced or i set the location) and this locations are
- \Program files
- \Program files (x86)
- \Windows

Or other system folder i get the error and cannot generate the PDF which is a problem cause i set my app destiny installation to \Program files (x86)
and this app generates PDFs inside a tmp folder example: \Program FIles(x86)\my app\tmp

on this case is really need to store the file in the tmp folde because i create the PDF file (from any app) and store it on cause also i need to make a companion XML and Json file so i can upload this 3 files to a production server

now if i set the location for the printing as C:\my app\tmp the file can be generated so my conclusion is that this is a security permission that the windows is applying to the printer driver.

it could be nice if this is fixed
Ps: by the way im using trial version (until the development is finished, my boss is going to buy the license)

Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Hello, Standard users are not allowed indeed to create files in the system folders. This is a system restriction and applies to all applications, not only novaPDF. Applications use different folders for saving temporary files, like the "Application Data" folder for the current user.
In novaPDF you may save the PDF file in a restricted folder only if you provide an user name and password that have rights to create files in the specified folder (see NOVAPDF_SAVE_NETUSER and NOVAPDF_SAVE_NETPASSWORD settings in Nova.bas, VB Hello World sample).

Thank you.
Follow us to stay updated: