Printint Mulitple Jobs to a single file- erratic results

Have questions about novaPDF (desktop or server), or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
buckyswider

Printint Mulitple Jobs to a single file- erratic results

Post by buckyswider »

Hello, I am trying to use NovaPDF to streamline a process. I have a proprietary graphing program that I use. With two clicks I can creat 40 different graphs. Another option allows me to "print all graphs". I want to print all these graphs to a single PDF file.

I set up NovaPDF to "append" to a PDF file, and supplied a path and filename. However, when I "print all graphs" to the NovaPDF printer, the results are erratic. I get a varying number of the specific graphs in the file- anywhere from 2 to 23 (the highest so far). I can see the graphing application Printing each one- it moves pretty quickly, but when I try to count the different spool operations, I get around 40 (owing to some that may be too quick for me to see).

Is this something that should work??

Thanks.

buckyswider

Re: Printint Mulitple Jobs to a single file- erratic results

Post by buckyswider »

Oh, the version is novaPDF Lite Desktop Version 7.2 Build 344. Trial version.

Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Hello,

The reason why this happens is that the print jobs are sent too quickly to the novaPDf printer. I will explain you how novaPDF works, so you can understand what happens.

novaPDF printer driver consists of two parts, one that runs in the user context space and is loaded by the applications that start the print jobs and one that runs in the Print Spooler system context.
Now a print job is started by the first module, then sent to the second module. The second module generates the PDf file and sends it back to the first module so it can save it in the user context.
When the print job is run with the append option, the existing PDF file is taken by the first module and sent to the second module to be appended, and then the resulted PDF is sent back to be saved.
Now if you start so many print jobs very quickly what happens is that multiple print jobs will take the same PDF file as the start one and append to it, and when the PDF is saved back it overrides one another.
In case the append feature is used, novaPDF architecture requires the print jobs to be sent sequentially, next print job to be sent only when previous one is finished (and appended PDF saved on disc).

Thank you.
Follow us to stay updated:

JOE123

Post by JOE123 »

We are having the exact same issue, the work around we have figured out is to pause the other prints once the first onebegins, then un-pause each que seperately as they process. This is however very tedious. If there was a way to add a 1 second delay after the first print que has been deleted, and the 2nd print begins. Then it will give it time to write to the pdf file before the 2nd print gets written. I have noticed in batch printing, the first print takes a while to process, then the next few print almost instantly.

Do you have any suggestions how to modify the print que delay length in the registry or such. Or can you add this feature into the software. Allowing it to process all the files in order of que(pages in order), then write to the pdf.

Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Hello,

Unfortunately there isn't such an option available to be added in normal printing mode. However for batch printing there are indeed methods available in the novaPDF SDK edition to make the printing process as smooth as possible even for a large number of files.

Thank you for understanding.
Follow us to stay updated: