Add encryption to existing PDF?

Have questions about novaPDF (desktop or server), or having problems using it? Ask here for help.
pjk

Add encryption to existing PDF?

Post by pjk »

Sometimes I receive PDF documents that all I need to do is create a copy that is encrypted.

But NovaPDF does not like to 'print' from an existing PDF file.

Therefore I have had to resort to using an "image printer driver" to print the original to a graphical image, and then print that via NovaPDF, adding encryption. But the resulting PDF files are huge. (presumably since they are now graphical data, rather than textual)

Is there any solution for this, or does it mean I have to buy expensive Adobe software?

Claudiu (Softland)

Re: Add encryption to existing PDF?

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Hello,

You should be able to print from an existing PDF file and add encryption to it as well without any issues using the novaPDF printer driver directly from the Adobe Reader.

Can you tell us what issues you have exactly with the file when printing it?

Thank you.
Follow us to stay updated:

pjk

Post by pjk »

OK, my apologies, I must have not tried this for a while. Perhaps it was older versions that wouldn't work in that way.

However I still have a similar problem with filesize: in the test I just did, the original unencrypted PDF was ~44k, the encrypted version generated by NovaPDF is 3 MEGAbytes.

Is that to be expected? Because while this method is certainly quicker/easier than the "print to image printer then print back through NovaPDF" technique, the file size problem is just as bad.

Claudiu (Softland)

Post by Claudiu (Softland) »

Hello,

The issue may be that from Adobe Reader the PDF is often seen as an Image when it is printed again and encrypted so this is why you may get the increased file size after the conversion.

Please remove all the image/graphic enhancements for the file from the Preferences>Graphics tab in novaPDF and try again with the conversion.

Thank you.
Follow us to stay updated: